Saturday 31 December 2011

Jocelyn Dumas Donates GHC 1000 To Korle-Bu Hospital Children’s Ward + Talks About Proliferation Of Celebrity ‘Foundations’!

Actress and host of Visat1 ‘One Show’ on Boxing Day, December 26 donated GHC 1000 to the Children’s Block of the Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital in Accra.

After the donation, excited Jocelyn she told GhanaCelebrities.Com, “The reason why I’m doing [donating] this is, I think because Christmas is a time of giving and giving selflessly. I thought about what to do this time around. Yes I did the partying and everything else but I realized that, I need to be able to impact certain lives or do something to put a smile on someone else’s face. I was blasting on my twitter that make sure that this Christmas, make sure you put a smile on some else’s face and I thought why not the children.”

“There are lots of charities out there… I mean I could definitely start my own charity but I’d rather donate into existing charities because it’s the same thing – it’s a good cause. So why not the children?”

She continued that instead of her to go to the beach on 26 December to have fun, she decided to celebrate the day with the children. According to her, the look on the faces of the children as she toured the wards confirms that indeed they appreciate what she has done for them. That was rewarding for her, she said.

When asked about her take on the proliferation of ‘Foundations’ and the act of giving, where every Ghanaian celebrity wants to have a foundation of their own, Jocelyn said she doesn’t hate that idea but then advised that since all the foundations serve the same purpose, it will make sense if other celebrities will rather help and donate to those foundations than setting up their own foundations.

“I wouldn’t say I don’t support [proliferation of foundations] but I think that when we all decide to do foundations and everything else then who pays into what -- really? There are so many foundations out there but then there are so many people still in need. So I would rather choose different things every year or every time or every season or maybe every two –three weeks or every two – three months and donate into that. I don’t have to wait for a particular day or a particular season or a particular period to do that. It’s a good thing. Korle-Bu Children’s ward, they need help. So why don’t I pay into that rather than set up a foundation and tackling just one cause when you can donate into all other causes because all these celebrities [and everybody else] is doing that so I can still donate to their cause.

She however hinted GhanaCelebrities.Com that she would want to set up her own foundation to donate funds to support different causes. “I would want to set up a foundation not for one thing in particular but I will set up foundation to have enough funds to be able to give to different causes; HIV, Cancer, Children’s Wards. I would like to have something there where I can always dig in and donate when I have to.
Jocelyn Dumas and her team will be donating to charity every Easter and Christmas. They are also nursing the idea of building a block for one of the children hospital in Ghana.

The donation was part of Citi FM’s ‘Help Christmas Child Project’ where the station organized a party for the children. Also present was Miss Universe Ghana 2011-Yayra Nego.

Listen To The Audio Below

No comments:

Post a Comment