Monday 6 September 2010

R2Bees’ Kiss Your Hand Music Video Doesn’t Have The ‘Wow’ Factor

I have struggled to put my thoughts about the R2bees & Wande Coal “Kiss Your Hand Music Video” video on paper. It has not been easy arriving at these words. What you are about to read is solely my thoughts about the video, like I have always done, I will be saying what I think went wrong.

When I did a story prior to the premiere and launch of the video I said “…. the music is too loud to get everyone’s attention”. Indeed the music is loud, it’s a kind of music everyone would want to dance to. It has a heavy beat and some crazy punch lines which makes it one of the best tunes from Ghana.

Contrary to what people say or think, this song appeals to both older and the younger generation. I believe the late coming of the video might have taken something away from it. It’s a case of when massive promotion precedes a program and the program does not live up to its billing.

Personally, am not in any position to say whether the video is bad or good as some people are saying. But then what elements must a video contain to make it look good or bad? Yours truly is not a video director, I can point out some elements which have contributed to readers fret about the video…

Paedae has explained earlier on that the ‘Kiss Your Hand’ song with Wande Coal is not a planned collaboration between the two artistes. It just happened like that. It was more of a free styling to a beat by Killbeatz and Wande Coal exhibited his creativity with those punch lines. Later, they agreed to do something out of it.

His explanation came at a time when people have pointed fingers at the duo for recording Wande Coal’s free style. Hmmm!

My concern with the video starts with the choice of white girls in the video. I’m yet to come in terms with that. The white girls in the video are the turn off for me because am not obsessed with whites.

Couldn’t the director find beautiful young black or chocolate skinned girls for the video? What happened to our Ghanaian girls?

The Video Lacks The ‘Wow’ Factor
‘Kiss Your Hand’ is a song; you would want to put on repeat when playing. It can be listen to anytime. However, when I say the video doesn’t have the ‘wow’ factor. It’s not like a video you would want to put on ‘repeat’ to keep repeating itself when you play for the first time. The video look like a low budget one.

From what I have gathered, people will rather play the song and put it on repeat than watch the video. I think the video didn’t really add much to the song.

R2bees & Wande Coal Rocks GMA 2010


The Wande Coal Factor
I gathered the director and the crew for the video came down from London. And I asked myself, wasn’t footage of Wande Coal and R2Bees performance at the Ghana Music Awards made available to him?

Obviously those who were at the last Ghana Music Awards where Wande Coal and R2Bees rocked the stage together will share the same sentiment with me here. I think Wande as an artiste was restricted in the video. The chap has what it takes to rock a stage anytime, any day and anywhere. This is because he has the stage presence.

He is one of the few musicians whose fatty looks doesn’t deter him from going crazy on the stage. He has exhibited beautiful and creative stage prowess whenever he performs in Ghana. With all this, I think he was restricted way too much. There were scenes that Wande wanted to go crazy like he does every time but yet the director didn’t see the advantage in that.

Interestingly, a local director would have capitalized on Wande Coal to make a beautiful video. How about shooting another video with a local director?



Thoughts of Ebenezer Anangfio Jnr.

No comments:

Post a Comment