Monday 18 July 2011

‘I Refused To Become An American’ – Alex Biney, Evicted Ghana Rep To The Big Brother Amplified!

Some Ghanaians will pay whatever amount to become an American citizen. However, at the press conference organized by MultiChoice Ghana, Alex Biney the evicted Ghanaian representative to the on-going Big Brother Amplified reality TV show in South Africa said that he had several opportunities to switch his nationality from Ghanaian to America but refused whenever the opportunity presented itself.
Wearing a T-Shirt with the inscription ‘I Love My People’ with love designed in a heart form in Ghanaian colours, Alex said: “I’m a Ghanaian citizen. I have had numerous opportunities to become a US citizen and I refused them.” He said confidently to show his strong allegiance to mother Ghana.
Explaining his reasons, he said that “… basically, in our house, we have always valued where we came from. I love the Ghanaian culture, the masks, our carvings, our clothing, and the food. Just being in the States and not being Ghanaian was something we couldn’t consider. Like I said I have had opportunities to be an American and it just didn’t feel right. I have always known that I’m a Ghanaian. I have always known that made me special. Ghana for life”.
He denied having sexual intercourse in the house, though he acknowledged he came close to it. He said he had lots of opportunities to go for it but he didn’t because he was thinking about the repercussion for the ladies.
“There were a lot of opportunities, I could have taken it. However, with me I was thinking a lot more about the ladies. With men I have come to realize that we can go on these shows and have threesomes and foursomes and come out looking like a heroes. With the ladies, it’s not like that, they come out looking bad. Their image is tarnished. There are so many backlashes. I really didn’t want them to go through all of that.” He said.
He continued: “Because I come from a family with lots of women in there, they instill a lot of morals into me and my brothers. It may look like I was a player but at the day I was really looking out for the women. I set some standard over there that I hope men will follow on how to take care of their women”.
Alex, the son of a diplomat entered the Big Brother house virtually not known to many Ghanaians but he went in there and came out with a new nickname ‘the ladies man’. Miss P, Weza and Millicent competed for his love; something many people believed was a contributory factor to his eviction.
He apologized later to them for his actions after they took some backlashes. He said in the States, it’s different.
“In the States, it’s different. They will be glorified; they will get magazine office. Get a million dollars in Playboy for doing these things but in Africa it’s totally different. We still value women and we still consider them as part of the community.”
Talking about why and how he got into the Big Brother game. He said: “The reason was simple. At that time I had come from New York – trying to establish here in Ghana and working on my collection and also looking for other business opportunities in Ghana and the Big Brother opportunity is a tremendous opportunity. It positions you in a way that you have more options in life and avenues open to you that in a normal circumstance that you have to be connected or work for it.”
“So the reason for being in the game was simply for the exposure and I just feel I had the strong sense of confidence about myself that I can make it happen.”
Alex has worked for Russell Simmons, co-founder of Def-Jam Records and creator of Phat Farm. Don’t get it twisted Alex won’t go into music like his predecessors. He spent 70 days in the house and hopes Nigerian’s Karen and South African’s Luclay are in the forefront to win the double $200.000 cash prize.
View the pictures here:

No comments:

Post a Comment